Home > About Bateson Clinic
About The Bateson Clinic
Dr. Padraic Gibson
Reg. FTAI, Reg. ICP, Reg. UKCP, Reg. EAP, Reg. FT Clin Supvr.
Dr. Padraic Gibson is a consultant clinical psychotherapist. He is currently the Clinical Director of The Bateson Clinic, Dublin, Ireland. He has been a Consultant Psychotherapist as well as a Clinical Director with Health Services Executive, Statutory funded services for over a decade.
He is currently on the clinical register of psychotherapists with the Irish Council for Psychotherapy, The Family Therapy Association of Ireland, and the United Kingdom Council for Psychotherapy and the European Association for Psychotherapy.
Clinical Fellowship and Association
Dr. Gibson is a lecturer and a senior research associate at Dublin City University, Institute of Education (DCU) and senior clinical researcher, clinical trainer and lecturer at the Post Graduate School of Psychotherapy, Centro di Terapia Strategica in Arezzo Italy directed by Professor Giorgio Nardone (Centro Di Terapia) as well as a research and training associate at the specialist clinic and clinical programme at, LACT, in Paris France (LACT).
Dr. Gibson is also one of the co-founders of The OCD Clinics International ® with Dr. Portelli and Dr. Papantuono.
Padraic has also trained as a clinical psychotherapy supervisor and teacher at The Mater Hospital, Dublin which forms part of University College Dublin’s postgraduate programme in Psychotherapy, as well as other post graduate trainings in Doctoral Research Methods, Organizational Consulting and Cognitive Behaviour Therapy at the University of Sunderland, University of Leeds, The Tavistock Clinic London and the University of East London. Padraic has also lectured at postgraduate level in Trinity College Dublin and at a number of other postgraduate programmes.
He has trained and presented in Ireland, Italy the United Kingdom, Malta and with USA students on the topics of systemic theory and Brief Strategic treatments for psychological disorders and on doing clinical research in psychotherapy. He has a rigorous commitment to clinical research and in finding ways to make his treatment even more effective and to this end has completed a number of significant clinical research projects on Eating Disorders, Postnatal Depression and Obsessive Compulsive Disorders with international colleagues Professor Gianluca Casltenuovo, Dr. Portelli, Dr. Papantuono Dr. Giada Pietribissa from the University of Milan, University of Macerata and University of Malta.
Books and Publications
- (2014) Winning Without Fighting: A Handbook of Effective Treatments for Social, Emotional and Behavioral Problems in Children and Adolescents. Malta University Press and Amazon Kindle.
- (2016) Brief Effective Clinical Treatment for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (In Press)
- (2016) Systemic Therapy as Transformative Practice. (Eds) Gail Simon and Imelda McCarthy. (EIC. Press)
Recent Professional Journal Articles
- (2016) An Outcome Study on the Effectiveness of Brief Strategic Therapy in the Treatment of Obsessive Compulsive Disorder. British Medical Journal
- (2016) Outcome Research on The Effectiveness of BST with Postnatal Depression. Irish Journal of Family Therapy
- (2016) Operative Diagnosis- A New Approach to Diagnostic Process: Context- British Association of Systemic and Family Therapy.
- (2014) An Interactional Approach for Treating Obsessive Compulsive Disorder Irish Journal of Counseling and Psychotherapy
Commitment to Evidence Based Clinical Research
Some Recent Research Papers Include:
- Outcome Research in the Treatment of Obsessive Compulsive Disorder Duration: 2010-2013. In collaboration with my colleague Professor Gianluca Castelnuovo, Department of Clinical Psychology, Istituto Auxologico Italiano IRCCS, Catholic University of Milan, we have completed (in conjunction with an independent evaluator of our work) a 3-year Outcome study with 62 patients outlining the successful treatment of Obsessive Compulsive Disorder here in Ireland published in The British Medical Journal Open (2016)
- Outcome Research in Treating Post-Natal Depression: Duration 2010-2012.This paper outlines a 2-year study with 71 women which was completed here in Dublin, in conjunction with my colleagues, Dr. Patrick O’Mathuna, medical doctor and clinical director of Castlemill Medical Centre, Dr. Gian Mauro Manzoni Istituto Auxologico, Milan and Professor Gianluca Castlenuovo, Istituto Auxologico Italiano IRCCS, Catholic University of Milan. The paper outlines the outcomes of our treatment for postnatal depression and in keeping with our rigorous methodology of ‘knowing through changing’ this has allowed us to develop a unique and successful model and method for treating for this invalidating problem. Published: Feedback -Irish Journal of Family Therapy.
- Rendering Brief Strategic Therapy even more valid and in order to verify our model of treatment and to observe fidelity in treatment, he has along with Professor Giorgio Nardone completed stage one of our most recent treatment manual. This manual was piloted this year in a research project between Dr. Claudette Portelli and myself.
Some Recent Clinical Training Provided By Dr. Padraic Gibson To Professionals
- March-2016: California Professional School of Psychology. Professor J. Jacksons, postgraduates.
- August 2016- Mental Health Team, The Hospice Harolds Cross, Dublin- Training clinical team on Effecitve Clinical Dialogue.
- July- 2016: Irish Council for Psychotherapy- Registrants clinical training day: Invited speaker-Presented on Strategic Approach to Eating Disorders
- October 2014: Hosted- Systemic Treatment for Couples in the21st Century-Dr Reeenee Singh, Tavistock Clinic London
- August 2014: Treating Obsessive and Phobic Disorders; Training to California University of Professional Psychology with Professor J. Jackson Postgraduate’s
- October 2014: Psychotherapist and Self Learning: Hosted Professor Peter Stratton- Department of Clincal Psychology Leeds University
- October 2014: Presentation of Outcome research of the clinical trial with Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: World Conference. Systemic and Strategic Network
- October 2014: Communicational appraoaches with Children and Adolescents in Psychotherapy: World Conference of The Strategic and Systemic Network
- October 2014: Effective Treatments for Postnatal Depression and international research project; World Conference of The Strategic and Systemic Therapy Network.
- August 2014: Eating Disorder Training: Training provided to California University of Professional Psychology-Professor Jeff Jackson
- July 2014: Panic Disorder Grounded Theory Research: Tavistock Clinic London, Research Symposium
- October 2013: Brief Strategic Treatment for Eating Disorders – Psychotherapy Team, St Vincent’s Hospital, Fairview.
- May 2013: Brief Treatment for Eating Disorders – Department of Adult Psychiatry, Naas General Hospital.
- June 2012: Treating Anxiety Disorders – Kildare, West Wicklow Mental Health Team.
- May 2012: The Diagnostic Interview: Using a Strategic Dialogue – Kildare, West Wicklow Mental Health Team.
- March 2011: Treating adolescent anorexia and bulimia: Kildare West Wicklow Mental Health Team.
- Feb 2011: Research Symposium Tavistock Clinic London: Presentation of Research Update on the treatment mechanisms in systemic treatment for panic disorder.